Client is one of the major flagship channels of a leading TV Network, having its reach in more than 120 countries and access to more than 500 million viewers globally. With more than 16 years of its launch, it has been a driving factor in the growth of satellite and cable industry in India. It has created strong brand equity and is the largest media franchise in India and across the globe, serving South Asian Diaspora.
Today the channel has a multi-genre offering and is living up to its image of being a socially conscious channel. Apart from delivering primetime drama series, television movies, theatrical films, specials and day time dramas to its audience, the channel also carries the proud tag of being the pioneer of the reality shows.
The channel featured a dance reality show which consisted of 13 participants, shortlisted through live auditions and preliminary rounds conducted across the city, and judged by a panel of experts in the domain of choreography. Thereon, qualification of a participant to the next level required maximum number of votes from the viewers. Hence, there was a need to develop a voting platform which would capture the voting responses of the viewers encompassing all demographics.
Earlier voting platform:
Until now, SMS voting (on Premium Short Code) was a popular medium. However, realizing the following drawbacks, people are looking for innovative ways that can be adopted to deal with the voting process.
- As the SMS is chargeable (Rs.3/SMS), people resist to vote.
- Demands literacy on the part of the voter.
- Due to low SMS volume, it wasn’t likely to have region-wise dissection of incoming responses.
- To increase the voting participation by making the process more friendly and free of cost.
- To have maximum audience engagement, encompassing all demographics.
To meet the above objective, VivaConnect provided the following services:
- Zero-cost Missed Call voting platform:
In order to vote, the viewer just had to give a missed call on a Unique Number assigned to the participant. The missed call automatically got disconnected after 2 rings and the viewer received an acknowledgement message soon after the registration of the vote on the panel. A viewer was allowed to vote for a particular contestant only once per episode. However, he could vote for multiple contestants in the same week.
Highlights of the process:
- The viewer saved the cost previously incurred in sending SMS.
- Enabled the viewer to vote even at zero pre-paid balance.
- The technology emerged as a transparent voting mechanism, valuing viewer’s point of view.
- Increased Viewer Engagement by 12 times as compared to Premium SMS (approximate vote count received: 3.8 crores).
- Encouraged responses as the solution was handset independent – one could vote through mobile and landline.
- Created a database of active Opt-in mobile users in real-time.
- Analytic reports facilitated real-time tracking of numbers with details of their region of origin.
- Enabled the channel to have audience as the true adjudicator in deciding the providence of the show/end results.