In today’s internet centric world, all of us own multiple accounts that are driven by passwords. We may keep the most “weird” password and security question combination that is almost impossible enough to be hacked. Yet, most of the times we end up in disappointment, thereby risking all of our personal data. Our purpose of this article is to provide you with tips and tricks that shall ensure the safety of your accounts.
A Security Checklist for Online Accounts:
- Enable “Always use HTTPS” setting for all online services that support secure HTTP.
- Maintain two email addresses – one which can go public at social networking sites and other “less popular” email address which can be associated with data security sites.
- Use a disposable email address to create a test account.
- Use virtual credit card with shopping sites.
- Once in a while, go for a mock drill with your most important online accounts to test recovery options available.
Noteworthy options that are available today are:
- Drop a “missed call” through a registered mobile number as a part of verification procedure.
- 2-step verification which generates a unique One Time Password (OTP) and is delivered through an SMS or Voice Call.
Read more here for other security options http://www.labnol.org/internet/online-accounts-security/19