With the growing awareness of pesticide over-use in the food products, more and more companies are coming up with initiatives to curb down the level of pesticide usage. One such agri-business company-Mahindra ShubhLabh Services Limited (MSSL) which is a mass exporter of grapes, recently launched an innovative approach to manage this issue.
Challenges faced by MSSL:
- Close monitoring of chemical usage on numerous plots
- Appointment of field officers to collect information and report the same over 8-10 days cycle
- Delay in reporting affected overall yield estimates and the business
- Limited availability of broadband connectivity in rural areas
- High cost of laptops was unsuitable from an economic perspective
Solution: A Java-based mobile application which enabled field officers to enter and transmit the survey information to a central server in real-time.
- Operability by a semi-literate user
- Installation via Bluetooth
- Software updation via a normal GPRS connection
- Data sent to central server through GPRS connection/SMS gateway
- Higher export volume due to compliance to specified limit usage of chemicals
- Problem detection at early stages and hence faster resolution
- Reduction in data collection time from 8-10 days cycle to just two hours
- Extension of improved services to users
VivaConnect can make available similar solution through its Android-based Field Services Application to efficiently capture, store and manage data in a manner that can be further used for reporting purpose.
- Enables field operators to log their tasks & conduct surveys using the applications
- Stores all the stock, sales & receipt entries in the logs
- Tracking of pre-requisites in the retail store including product storage and employees
- Flexible Question and answer modules for Data Capture
- Geo Tagging & Photo capture